ITIN Application

Eagle Tax > Apply for an ITIN

ITIN Application
Certified Acceptance Agents (CAA)

Apply for an ITIN

An ITIN will serve as your identification number for filing your taxes. With certified tax professionals and Certified Acceptance Agents (CAA) nationwide, our offices are well-equipped to guide you through the ITIN application or ITIN renewal process.

Why do I need an ITIN?

Let’s say you’re working and earning money in the United States but you don’t qualify for a Social Security Number. An ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, sometimes called a PIN, Tax ID or Taxpayer ID) will serve as your identification number for filing your tax returns. If you do not qualify for an SSN, you will need to apply for an ITIN.

Here’s what else your ITIN does:

  • It allows you to get a refund from your income withheld by the IRS, if you qualify.
  • It allows you to file your taxes and claim dependents you support in the U.S., Mexico or Canada.
  • It may allow you to open a bank account or apply for a mortgage loan.

So your ITIN tax ID not only helps you file a tax return, it ensures you get the refund you deserve as quickly as possible.

Your ITIN application or renewal service is free when we prepare your U.S. federal income tax return.

What documents do I need to apply for an ITIN number?

To begin the ITIN application process, you will need to bring:

  • A complete IRS Form W-7
  • A U.S. federal income tax return
  • Your Passport or TWO (2) of the following documents: (including at least one identification with photo and one identification from your country):
  • National Identification Document (this must be current, and include your name, photo, address, date of birth, and expiration date)
  • U.S. driver’s license
  • Foreign driver’s license
  • Birth Certificate (required for a dependent unless a passport is being submitted and the passport has a date of entry into the U.S.)
  • State I.D.
  • Foreign Voter’s Registration card
  • Visa issued by the Department of State
  • U.S Military ID card
  • Foreign Military ID card
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services photo I.D.
  • Medical (for dependents under age 6 only)
  • School records (for dependents under age 18 only)

You can fill out an application form for an ITIN for you, your spouse, and your dependents when you prepare your tax return with us.

Get Helpful On-Site Verification

While the ITIN application or renewal process can be done with any of our tax pros, using a Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA) makes the process a bit easier. Why? With this service, offered at certain participating offices, the CAA will verify your supporting documents.

And, because they’re verified on-site, your original documents may not need to be mailed to the IRS. Our CAA will submit copies of these documents, along with your ITIN application or renewal, to the IRS for you.